Tuesday 3 June 2014

Penang or KL: Where to live?

We explore the good, the bad and the ugly of these two states and weigh the pros and cons of what makes them the favourite choice of today’s urbanites.
BY AIMEE CHOON
aimeechoon@starmedia.my

Nicola posing with a mural made famous by Ernest Zacharevic in Penang. She loves making trips to Penang, but ultimately, Kuala Lumpur is where her heart is.
Nicola posing with a mural made famous by Ernest Zacharevic in Penang. She loves making trips to Penang, but ultimately, Kuala Lumpur is where her heart is.
I AM not the conventional Penangite. I was born in England, lived in Kuala Lumpur until I was seven and then, finally, moved to the beautiful island I now call home. To me, Penang is a wonderful collection of contradictions: From the modern city skyline set against the backdrop of rolling hills, to the heritage buildings in the old city occupied by young, hip cafes; Penang mixes old with new, and natural beauty with manmade marvels in the best way possible. But the question of where I see myself settling down often has me stuck between the abundant opportunities offered in the country’s bustling capital of Kuala Lumpur, and Penang, the island I hold so dear to my heart.
Curious, I asked people from Penang and Kuala Lumpur alike where they would prefer to live in the long-term.
“I’d prefer to live in Penang,” said Yeoh Shen-Hoei, 45, who is a part-time lecturer in web design at KDU College Penang. “It offers a better quality of life, lower cost of living, a better place to bring up kids and more things to do than just shopping or clubbing,” he expressed.
Yeoh also feels safer, citing lower crime rates in what he perceives as more community-centric Penang compared to Kuala Lumpur. Tastier food and marginally better traffic were also factors for his choice of preferred location.
Yeoh currently lives in Penang with his family but has experienced living in some of the world’s biggest cities.
“I’ll be honest,” he said. “I’ve lived in big cities like Boston, spent time in New York City and London. All have their pros and cons and their draw pulling me back. I just don’t ever feel that pull for Kuala Lumpur. The one big con of Penang, though, is the cost of property. It’s no better in KL itself but you could get cheaper places in Petaling Jaya.”
Echoing Yeoh’s choice, Naqib Hakim who was born in Selangor and now lives in Perak commented, “What is great about Penang is the rich cultural value that you can relate to regardless of whether you are a Penangite or just a tourist. And, I could go on and on about the food, architecture and natural wildlife in Penang – all of which are missing in Kuala Lumpur. In terms of cost of living, though, there is really not that much difference. However, in Penang, if stress catches up on you, there are so many activities to do without any cost.”
It is true that the laid-back pace of life in Penang, together with its small community and natural beauty make it an idyllic place to live. However, the fact is that many young Penangites leave the island almost immediately after graduating from secondary school or college to find work in Kuala Lumpur.
One such college graduate is Mahesh Dass, a 22-year-old Penangite who is now permanently based in Kuala Lumpur.
“I would go back to Penang as a getaway, but Kuala Lumpur has the bigger job scope for my field of work,” said Dass who is a musician and sound engineer.
“I’ll never stop coming back to Penang though,” he added, referring to the frequent trips he makes back to his hometown.
Aside from the abundance of job opportunities, living in the country’s capital has its fair share of perks as well, as 24-year-old Adrian Chin pointed out.
“If I’m looking for the latest thing, or some neat finds, I can usually only find them in Kuala Lumpur. You know, clothes, gadgets, games… and of course, there are the job opportunities.”
Chin lived in Penang for a few years before relocating to Kuala Lumpur after finishing his studies abroad and has established quite a fondness for the city. It is a fondness that Petaling Jaya native, Nicola Choon shares.
“I’d prefer to live in Kuala Lumpur, because contrary to popular perception, it’s not that much more urban than Penang.
There are still some places where you can take refuge from the hustle and bustle of the city,” Choon said.
She also maintained that while Penang is known for its delicious local food, Kuala Lumpur is not without its fair share of good eats either. “I feel I’ve had a good life so far in Kuala Lumpur, managing even to do a fair bit of stargazing which, admittedly, would be better in Penang,” she said.
In the end, which is the better city to live in is a matter of the individual’s preference. But for me, Penang is home, at least for now. - The Star

No comments:

Post a Comment